Sunday, February 11, 2018

You kissed her cheek back.

Knox fell off his bike
and a tiny cut from the sidewalk
gave him a band-aid on two fingers
one on each hand.

I was in the middle of my head,
work following me from my office
while I filled the coffee mug
and tried to make things work.

This is always precisely the moment
when I find out you're hurt.
It's only barely even a scratch
but you haven't had many scratches.

I'm so glad you have Darcy.
You began telling me how much it hurt.
She stood right in front of you.
Looked you dead in the eyes and said,
"I'm so sorry, Knox."

She practically whispered it.
So soft and heart-shatteringly cute.
She said it with a two-year old's version
of what genuine looks like to them.

She hugged you
and gently kissed your cheek.

You hugged her back
and you gently kissed her cheek back.

The bond of a brother and his little sister.

No comments: