Thursday, May 7, 2009

I Wanna Be Broken

I've been thinking a lot lately about brokenness. My brother, Ben, and I have been reading David Dark's new book, The Sacredness of Questioning Everything. It's really really well-written, probably my favorite book he's written so far. Check out his other books, The Gospel According To America and Everyday Apocalypse. In the book, he talks about this song by Leonard Cohen, called "Anthem". He talks about how the song really hit home for him...how the lines, "There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in", really changed his perception of what it is to broken.

So I wrote a poem in my journal the other night...basically just out of frustration..I just want to be broken.

The song I use: "Happiness" by Riceboy Sleeps, which is a side project from Jonsi (lead singer of Sigur Ros) and his boyfriend, Alex Somers. The album is due in July.



I'm not really sure
what churns and burns me
but to whatever does
I pray you come
and come fast.

"There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light gets in."
- Leonard Cohen once said that.

But what about the corners
hidden
from those who shatter their pieces.

A jug of wine kept deep down in its' cellar
where no drunk passes
where no one can shatter it.

We are all pretty obsessed
with our cellars.
We don't want
anyone to crack us.

Well I wanna be broken.
Break me please.
I badly wanna break.
I wanna shatter.
Everything is perfect,
but nothing ever moves me.
I wanna be broken
so I can feel.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Thank you for that...
I think it may have put another much needed crack in me.